Saturday, May 11, 2013

Berry Crostata

I know I haven't posted in ages, and I apologize for that! April has been such a terribly busy month for me with exams and assignments piling up... :( 

Moving on, today I decided to make a berry crostata. If you are wondering what a crostata is, it is essentially an Italian baked tart. At first, I was afraid to attempt making my own pie crust, but since everything tastes better when you make it from scratch (to me anyway), I was willing to give it a try.

Boy oh boy, did it pay off!! In fact the crust is perhaps the best part of this crostata, as it is flaky and buttery and oh-so-good. It has the perfect texture - tender, yet does not fall apart easily. The filling which consists primarily of strawberries, blueberries and blackberries provide nice contrast to the buttery crust, and its tangy-sweet flavor is further enhanced by wonderful citrusy tones from the zest and juice of the orange.

This crostata is a great alternative to a regular pie that is baked in a tart/pie tinl, as it requires less work and you do NOT need any special equipment for this at all! No need for a tart/pie tin - just a rolling pin will do! 








Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment